I did it, I now have ombre hair!! Ahhhh!!! What do you guys think?! I personally love it, I'm super impressed by how easy it was and how well it turned out for an at-home job ;) If you're interested, here's how I did it! (Bear in mind that I went the opposite way, going from already blonde to ombre hair...usually people go from brunette. So this will probably only work if you're a blonde!)
1. I purchased the box hair-dye Garnier Herbashine in #600 (Light Brown). This was the closest darker colour to my natural one (dark blonde). This is a semi-permanent dye which lasts 6-8 weeks with no ammonia so it's not very damaging or bad for you :)
2. I sectioned my hair into four parts, two at the front (starting right above my ears) and two at the back.
3. Starting with the back sections, I covered all the roots in hair dye and then left it to develop for 5 minutes.
4. I then applied a little more to the upper two thirds of the hair, brushing it through from root to about 2/3 of a way down to create that gradient effect. At this point, about 1/3 of your hair should be still dry and untouched. I left that to develop for another 5 minutes.
5. Finally, I diluted the rest of the dye with some lukewarm water (shook it up a little to mix it ;) and applied that to the ends/lower third of the hair. I left this for one minute only and then jumped in the shower and washed it out! I also applied the High Shine Treatment that comes with the box dye for added silkiness :)
Here are the results!
My hair had faded from being dyed a dark blonde to this lighter shade of blonde here.
I couldn't be happier with the results!! Let me know what you think, and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask either in the comments below or on Formspring/Twitter! :)